Thursday, June 24, 2010

This Week in DVD

Remember Me: Rob Pattinson proves he's not just a mediocre actor casting through the "Twlight" series. He can coast through all kinds of melodramatic romances!

She's Out of My League: A dumb comedy about a geeky guy trying to date "above his pay grade." It's simple, guys: You want to attract a woman, you just do one thing: Go someplace you expect her to be and start singing the late Patrick Swayze's classic "She's Like the Wind," which, perhaps not coincidentally, includes the line "She's out of my leaaaaaaauge." That's how I met Mrs. Shark (I'm gonna find out pretty quickly who in my inner circle actually reads this blog).

A Star is Born: This movie is on The Greatest Cable Channel Known to Mankind about every month, it seems, and turns up in other, less great, places, too, and I can never, ever embrace it. Just last week, in fact, Mrs. Shark was watching it, and I kind of kept an eye on it, but it didn't do anything for me. So I sang "She's Like the Wind" in my best James Mason voice, and after that, she melted. No, I'm kidding...although that's not a bad idea...

Mason makes just about anything watchable, or at least listenable. I could just sit and listen to him talk for hours, but as far as watching him and Judy Garland...eh, no. But this looks like a great DVD for the film's legions of fans, and I hope they enjoy it.

Ton and Jerry Deluxe Anniversary Edition: That fancy title kind of makes you hope that Warners finally got it right and issued a comprehensive box set with all the restored, unedited cartoons, right? Nope! It's just another set, and the diehards will have to wait a little longer for Tom and Jerry to be done right. Actually, I have read that this cash grab of a collection includes some botched toons that were initially released, then later reissued in corrected form--but it includes the botched versions! Shame on you, WB!

Checkmate the Complete Series: Time once again for The Cheapskate's Lament: As this is a Timeless Media product, it looks like Netflix won't carry it.

And while I'm at it, since it's a slow DVD week, Netflix, how about stocking more MPI product, like those recent color "Honeymooners" specials, and where are the Bing Crosby TV specials that came out a few weeks ago? And what about some of the classic releases from the big studios, like Universal's Bob Hope set with "Nothing But the Truth"? And how is the "Babs Stanwyck Show" Volume 1 already unavailable while Volume 2 isn't even available at all? And what's with all the Shout Factory releases fading into the oblivion of "SAVE" status? Well, folks, you get the idea.

No comments: