Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hey! It's that guy!

One of the advantages to being laid up with a bad back is getting to be in the room when your wife watches her soap opera.

Wait a minute, no, that's not an advantage. It's a big DISadvantage, really. The pain must be shredding my faculties.

But wait. There is a glimmer of hope if you happen to be in a similar situation. You see, the other day I was an innocent bystander during a screening of "Days of Our Lives" when suddenly I looked up from my book and saw David "Joe Isuzu" Leisure! That's right--that guy! He's still around!

I was pretty sure it was indeed David Leisure, but who knows, maybe the new brand of ibuprofen I just switched to had hallucinogenic properties. So I asked Mrs. Shark if I was indeed seeing the smarmy cult favorite on her soap. She confirmed it, and I noted he was engaging in some kind of legal chat with another character, so I asked her, "Sleazy defense attorney?"

To my great astonishment, she told me he was the District Attorney. "What?" I replied. "How can he not be a sleazy mouthpiece? He shouldn't be on the right side of the law."

Then my wife put me--and indeed, the entire pop culture universe--at ease. "I didn't say he wasn't sleazy," was her response, and I comforted myself with the thought that at least he was a crooked D.A. Anything less (or more, depending on your perspective) would be a ridiculous case of miscasting.

So, yeah--David Leisure is on "Days of Our Lives." I'll be darned.

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

This is like a defense attorney's dream come true. When Leisure begins his summation, everyone on the jury will be able to read the caption: "He's lying."