Saturday, July 24, 2010

This Week in DVD

Cop Out: Is Kevin Smith a "Sell Out" for directing someone else's script? Of course not. I'm curious to rent this Bruce Willis/Tracy Morgan buddy cop flick, which seems to both celebrate and send up the genre. But because of the 28-day quarantine imposed on Netflix and Redbox by just going out and buying the DVD instead. NOT!
(Yeah, I've made similar comments before, but it's gonna take a while to get it out of my system.)

Forbidden Zone and Galaxy of Terror:
Two Roger Corman sci-fi specials come to DVD. I never saw "Terror," but how bad can a space opera with Eddie Albert and Erin Moran be? As for "Zone," I remember when I was a fairly wee lad and my uncle took me and my cousin to see it. We expected some sci-fi violence, but we didn't expect what seemed like copious nudity. Nowadays that would be a pleasant bonus, but as a young kid with my uncle, I just soaked in the collective embarrassment.

My Boys Seasons 2 and 3: I know we live in crude times, but still, I'm astonished that someone actually made a situation comedy about a guy's testicles.

The Wronged Man: Hey, check out the leading man's marquee-stretching name: Mahershalalhashbaz Ali! All right, that's a lame comment. And this is a Lifetime movie. You got me, folks. It's a slow DVD week.

No comments: