Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Did The Brady Bunch inspire Watergate? (No, but it's a strong post title)

I just didn't have the heart to keep the click bait title as it was without adding a disclaimer of sorts.

I am fascinated, though, by the first season episode of The Brady Bunch titled "Vote for Brady." In particular, I like the sequence in which Mike, looking to help out his ever-lovin' first born in the Fillmore Junior High class president campaign he is waging against Marcia, gives him a tape recorder.

I have kids of my own. I had sisters growing up. I WAS a kid. I have access to YouTube. I have never seen a kid appreciate a gift the way Greg appreciated this tape recorder.

The best thing is the way Greg tests it out. "Testing, 1, 2, 3...Testing, 1, 2, 3...Testing, 1, 2, 3..." I think Mike rolls his eyes a bit as he leaves Greg to his testing.



Now, I think we all thought the same thing the first time we saw this episode: Greg SAYS he's going to use this to broadcast his campaign promises all over the school, but what he is REALLY gonna do is make clandestine recordings of Marcia's campaign and use them to crush her.

Instead, Greg actually dumps his team when they propose the "dirty trick" of smearing Marcia's good name by spreading a rumor about her. Greg threatens physical violence against them.


Every self-respecting campaign manager wears a ribbon that says "Campaign Manager"

What a dope! He could have won the election, then used his power to crush anyone who gossiped about his sister.

Greg doesn't have it in him, neither does Marcia, and we get a sweet if sappy conclusion.



But what if?

What IF the Nixon administration was watching this episode and it inspired not only the secret taping system in the White House, but the entire dirty tricks campaign that ultimately helped bring down a presidency?

What IF?

Just asking. Just asking...

A shot from the deleted scene of Nixon's cameo in Season 4's "The Tiki Caves."

No comments: