Saturday, January 20, 2018

Streaming Video Power Rankings: Week 96

1) Hulu: The surprise addition of ER, which I had long considered the biggest show that had never streamed anywhere, cinches another #1 for Hulu. Plus they responded to a question I asked about when those Fox library shows are coming. Oh, they didn't tell me when they were coming, but they acknowledged they were still on tap, and they were friendly about it.

I caught up on Brooklyn Nine-Nine and enjoyed some more Golden Girls reruns this week. I still don't know if The Path is ever gonna be a thing, but fair play to Hulu for trying.

2) Netflix: Any other week, Netflix might be #1 even if I am tempted to knock it down just for Grace and Frankie. GLOW is officially my favorite Netflix Original, and I am already looking forward to the next season. I am not sure if there will be another season of The Toys That Made Us, but there should be. That's an excellent docuseries that kind of came out of nowhere.

3) YouTube: The highlight for me this week was watching Tommy Wiseau's The Room on here. I'm surprised it's still up, albeit with Spanish subtitles, but I am not complaining that I finally saw it. I should be complaining that I sat through the horrible Rolling Stone 10th Anniversary Special, but maybe that's kind of like a rite of passage.

4) The CW: It would be funny if this "Trial of the Flash" storyline lasted as long as it did in the comics, which felt like it was, oh, about 3 years. I haven't seen Black Lightning yet, but it sounds like a solid add to the CW's comic book show lineup. I realize there are other shows on there; I just don't know anything about them.

5) Pub-D-Hub: They have had a few solid weeks of updates, and I enjoyed some old TV shows and a 1929 curio called "Oh, Yeah?" with the buddy team of Robert Armstrong and James Gleason!

6) Shout! Factory TV: I am cautiously optimistic that the Roku issues are finally over, and this week all the old content, plus some new adds for January, are live and viewable.

7) Boomerang: I was a little disappointed by Scooby Doo! and WWE: Curse of the Speed Demon, which was nowhere near the quality of Stone Age Smackdown, but it's nice Boomerang carries it.

8) Amazon Prime: Slides this week after raising its monthly price 2 bucks per,  but I will add Wonderstruck to my list of acclaimed movies I intend to watch but skip over in favor of those 1990 USWA Wrestling episodes that are on there for no apparent reason.

9) Warner Archive Instant: I really have a hard time sitting through Courtship of Eddie Father unless I can somehow block out the music.

10) Acorn TV: Got good pub its first commissioned series, Series 2 of Agatha Raisin; also premiered series 3 of The Detectorists.

No comments: