Monday, January 1, 2018

'Mooners Monday: PIX 11 Archives with a treasure trove of material

I gave PIX11's Roku channel the coveted #1 spot in my streaming video power rankings this week because it posted 5 vintage Honeymooners-related clips last week, including a 2013 interview with Joyce Randolph, a 1980s news feature on a RALPH (Royal Association for the Longevity and Preservation of The Honeymooners) convention, and more. Much to my delight, the channel added a bunch more stuff this weekend.

If you don't do Roku, you can check out some of the clips here at the PIX Archives Facebook page. Of course this is all in conjunction with the New York TV station's annual New Year's Eve marathon. I have all the episodes on DVD and Blu-Ray, but if I had WPIX, I'd be watching at least some of the 'thon, I'm sure. Click here for the schedule of episodes.

I love that the flagship of The Honeymooners for the last umpteen years keeps this tradition alive. It's not the same as 11:30 every weeknight, but it's something. What's your favorite episode NOT featured in the marathon? For me, the one that stands out is The Worry Wart, which just happens to be coming up next in our chronological look at the Classic 39 (and that will resume soon, I promise). I think Ralph's stress over a summons to come to the IRS creates one of the most purely funny episodes of them all--no costumes or gimmicks needed, just great, great dialogue and performances.

As for those old clips on the Pix11 Roku channel, here are some of my personal faves. Catch 'em before they're gone (though many of these have already been up and can probably be found if you poke around):

*Old PIX promos for the show: Even if it's only a line of dialogue and the great Ralph Lowenstein or Bill Biery reading a brief bit of copy, it gives me a warm feeling.

*The "I'm a Honeymooney" music video, though I would have spelled it "Honeymoonie."

*Soundless footage of someone holding up vintage Honeymooners for-air reels from Viacom. Hey, I thought it was cool.

*An "11 Alive" promo touting the original "Must See TV" lineup: the weeknight juggernaut of Odd Couple, 'Mooners, and Star Trek. I love how it shows people in a diner watching The Odd Couple.

*My favorite: A 1982 commercial for a 3-D broadcast of Revenge of the Creature built around the clip from "TV or Not TV" of Ralph saying he hasn't bought a set because he's waiting for 3-D television!

No comments: