Sunday, June 1, 2008

He ain't heavy, he's my brutha!

I learned something after making Thursday's post, in which I wished that "Lost" would give Desmond the boot. I learned that Desmond is one heckuva popular character. After getting some good-natured responses that showed the amount of love fans have for the guy, I did some searching and found various online shrines, societies, and tribute clips. I had no idea.

I haven't changed my stance, but I must admit that seeing all his "brutha" utterances in one dose (see here) gave me the best laugh I've had all week. It's a truly awesome piece of editing someone did there. I don't regret having my take, but I almost regret sharing it. After all, it looks like thousands of fans have already analyzed every aspect of the character many times over. I must be years late to the party in ripping him for saying "brutha" so often. I can only hope that I'm the first person online to lament not being able to call the family cat "brutha" because his wife thinks he's mocking Desmond--and not just because she likes Desmond, but because he's already abused the joke (OK, I admit it).

The title of this post must have been used dozen of times already. My backup was, "Brutha, can you spare a post?" but I went ahead with the Hollies allusion. If I'm late to the party there, too, so be it.

I also learned that if you want feedback in the blogosphere, you really do have to go negative. I mean, I really respect the commitment and passion people have for Desmond, and for "Lost," for that matter. I'd personally rather see that kind of passion for other people I wrote about recently, like Guy Kibbee or William Bendix, but, hey, there you go.

At any rate, I'm about to do something that violates all known Laws of Blogging. To all those who read my Anti-Desmond rant, whether you commented or just did a read-by...hey, nothing personal. I appreciate the feedback and respect your opinion.

See, I think I'm supposed to parlay a few negative comments, tongue in cheek or no, into some kind of Blog War and build up some notoriety. But nope, it's all in good fun. I must be the lamest blogger in the world--beating dead topics into the ground; referring to my own post a whole THREE DAYS later when the Internet has moved on; and worst of all, maintaining civil relations with readers. But in the words of Billy Joel in "Goodnight, Saigon, " "And we held onto each other, like brother to brother."

I don't know the exact relevance of that line, but it has the word "brother" in it--twice--and it's a fitting tribute to the "Lost" character who is so beloved. In closing, I'll concede two things:

1) Desmond ain't so bad when the writers expand his vocabulary.

2) If, in Thursday's season finale, Desmond had greeted Penelope on the ship with, "I love you, brother," it would have been one of the best moments in the show's history and I would have laughed like hell.

2 comments:

Michael Cowgill said...

Where's the video link, dude?

--Hugo

Michael Cowgill said...

Thanks for he link, Jaws.

--James