Saturday, June 21, 2008

This Week in DVD

I'm sure we're all emotionally drained after last week's "Fugitive" fiasco, so I'll try to be brief today, eh?

Carmen Miranda Collection: Fox has reissued "The Gang's All Here" as part of this set. The earlier version of the disc featured a botched transfer with poor colors. Granted, they're not giving the disc away, but at least they're fixing their mistake. Must...avoid...discussing..."The Fugitive"...

Popeye Volume 2: I don't know if I have the credibility to do a hard sell on this one since I haven't bought Volume 1 yet, but these are great, great toons well packaged with plenty of extras. Warners is cutting these sets in half, hoping more of you will buy them at the lower price point. I encourage you to accommodate them. It's not like they're splitting seasons up to milk more bucks out of you, like, say, Paramount did with "The Fugitive."

Be Kind Rewind: This one makes me kind of nostalgic for the prime of VHS. Sure, DVD is a superior format, but there's one thing it doesn't have yet that VHS offers: Official releases of "The Fugitive" with the original music.

Fool's Gold: Are Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson the Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn of our times? Because if they are, our times kind of suck. Not like the old days when we had great stars like David Janssen.

Jericho: The Complete Series: I have to tell you, "Jericho" fans, I admire your tenacity, but your show failed twice. After you buy these DVDs, why not focus your energy on encouraging Paramount to quit screwing around with "The Fugitive"?

The Sword in the Stone: I first saw this Disney animated feature last year, and I thought Disney wasted a pretty cool concept--the Arthurian legend and all that--and created a lackluster movie. I was just disappointed watching it. It was kind of like opening a "Fugitive" set and seeing that all the original music was replaced.

No comments: