Friday, November 14, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dick Powell



Just because the screen legend isn't around to enjoy it doesn't mean we can't celebrate it. Powell, born November 14, 1904, is one of the most fascinating stars of all time--a crooner, a radio star, a hard-boiled noir icon, and more.

Check out this appreciation at She Blogged By Night a few weeks back. And then check out some of his movies, like "Cry Danger" or "Murder My Sweet" if you want to go that route; or a good old-fashioned silly musical like, well, any of his 1930s musicals if you want to go that way. And if you're lucky enough to own a decent copy of "Pitfall," watch that one and then send me a copy because I'd love to see it again.

Me, I'm going to sing "Happy Birthday" to my own framed copy of the tobacco card pictured above. Then I may sing "Fair and Warmer" or "I'll String Along with You"...but probably not to the tobacco card. That might be kind of weird.

No comments: