Wednesday, November 12, 2008

This Week in DVD

A huge week after some quiet Tuesdays. There are so many compelling DVDs on the way that I can only be reverent and hold off on the wise-ass remarks. I've wasted too much time already. Let's get to it!


Warner Brothers Homefront Collection: This set rules, even though I kind of wish it included more than 3 features. The good news is you get a few cool movies in which all the stars there in the galaxy, or whatever marketing phrase WB used, got together to put on a show for the troops. Plus extras and a new documentary, "Warners Goes to War." I love this sort of stuff.


Warner Brothers Holiday Collection 2: For me the highlight of this set is the offbeat Robert Mitchum role in "Holiday Affair." American Movie Classics used to show that one every year, I think, and for some reason it stuck with me.


Studio One Anthology: Hey, this looks pretty cool. An assortment of "Studio One" episodes are already on DVD, but Koch Vision bundles a new batch of 17 in a spiffy-looking box set--an anthology of an anthology, if you will. I think we should all support quality vintage television releases like this. By "we," I mean you because I can't afford this right now so I'll be renting the discs.


Hellboy II: You know, I liked the first one well enough, but I just couldn't work up any enthusiasm for the sequel, and I'm not sure why that is. Maybe the DVD will stoke the fires.

Father Knows Best Season 2: Though the season 1 release was marred by syndicated prints with some jarring edits, the show itself was surprisingly funny--surprising to me, at least, since I had never really seen it before. According to preliminary reports, Shout got its act together and delivered complete episodes this time, making this an attractive potential purchase.

Mr. Peepers Season 2: I DID buy season 1 of this one and enjoyed it. I'd like to hear some clearer audio this time out, but I'm really just pleasantly surprised S'Mores is back for s'more with another season of this gentle Wally Cox sitcom.


Chronological Donald Volume 4: Donald DUCK, that is. Some of you might be more intrigued by the other Disney Treasures releases this week, but I'm giving love to the duck, the myth, the legend--my favorite Disney character. I always got a kick out of his super-lame theme song on those old shorts: "Who gets stuck with all the bad luck? Nobody but Donald Duck!" Yeah,the cartoon Duck can't compare with the comic book one, and I get sick of seeing him jobbing to Chip and Dale (who have a big presence in this set), but it's still Donald.

M Squad The Complete Series: Lee Marvin as a police lieutenant fighting crime in Chicago sounds great to me. Who knows if Timeless is actually getting this massive box set out this week, but, wow, this sounds like one of the coolest of the cool this week. If only I could buy a fraction of these great DVDs this week. Hey, anyone want to send me a "review" copy or two?

No comments: