Friday, July 24, 2009

Best Buy makes it hard to give them money

I went to Best Buy to purchase a memory card a few weeks ago. Now, I could have bought the memory card lots of different places, but only Best Buy had "The '59 Sound," the latest CD from The Gaslight Anthem, for 8 bucks. So Best Buy would get all my business that day.

Or would they? One of the things that drives me crazy about Best Buy is how poorly labeled their deals and specials are. I discovered the $7.99 price online as part of some "New and special artists who you should listen to because people might see the CD on your table and think you're hip, although of course these days they'll just think you're out of it for still buying CDs" promotion. I hoped there might be some display with all those discs grouped together for my convenience. There was not.

Oh, I should mention that before hunting for that mythical display, I went to the most logical place to find a Gaslight Anthem album--the section labeled "Gaslight Anthem." There was a plastic divider with the band's name on it, but no product. I even checked a few rows nearby in case it was misshelved. No luck.

It was only then I began searching for a display or endcap or sale section. See, the online site had told me there were two available in store, and if there's one thing I have learned as a consumer in this Digital Age of ours, it's that the Internet NEVER LIES.

I went to a computer that offered access to their in-store inventory. Sure enough, two copies existed in that very store, unless this was some rogue machine toying with me. Don't think I didn't ponder that one a bit.

Eventually, I gave up and summoned an employee. I have had mixed results with Best Buy associates in the past, but this guy, I will admit, did a heck of a job. He was friendly and professional. First thing he did was head to the "Gaslight Anthem" section, but I wasn't offended even though I had told him I looked there already. Hey, if I worked there, that would be my first move, too.

Then he looked around a bit in the CD section. Again, familiar territory, but, hey, the guy's working for me. Indulge him. For all he knows, I'm "that idiot customer" he'll be talking about on his smoke break.

Finally, he went to the computer and verified that, sure enough, two copies existed in that very store.

Sounds familiar, eh?

Only, he had a path not available to me. "Hold on," he said, "I'll look in the back."
The back? They keep CDs in the back? What are they doing back there where I can't see them?

After about 5 minutes, he did indeed come out from "the back," holding a Gaslight Anthem CD, presumably one of the two in stock (I noticed he didn't bother bringing out the other and putting IT on the shelf). Then, of course, I told him I changed my mind and set it on the shelf beside him.

Just kidding! Of course I got it and the memory card and a few other things besides, but the only reason I got anything was because of this good deal on the one album. If I hadn't found it there, I would have walked out empty-handed and bought the memory card somewhere else instead of getting 50 bucks' worth of merchandise right there.

What was this CD even doing in the back? Do they keep a whole bunch of items there in some grand warehouse, kind of like the "Beyond" manned by Christopher Walken in that sappy Adam Sandler movie from a couple years ago? Do they ever restock their shelves?

I know Best Buy doesn't really care about pushing small potatoes like CDs and DVDs anymore, but if I don't find what I'm looking for, I can go somewhere else. It was only because I was so motivated that day--and cheap--that I made as much effort as I did rather than taking a hikeski and spending my $50 someplace else.

No comments: