Thursday, July 2, 2009

This Week and Last Week in DVD

Confessions of a Shopaholic: Isla Fisher looks adorable on the DVD cover, doesn't she? I think that's enough for me with regards to this movie--glancing at the DVD cover.

Pink Panther 2: Oh, I know what you're thinking: How could Steve martin as Inspector Clouseau come up with anything to top that riotous scene from the first movie in which he struggled to say "hamburger?" I wonder that myself, but, hoo, boy, I'm sure he tried!

Inkheart: This seems like the third or fourth movie in the past year that's made me say Brendan Fraser seems like a nice guy and I wish him well and all, but I'll pass and hope other moviegoers feed his family.

The Code: I know nothing about this Morgan Freeman/Antonio Banderas movie, but I'd like to think that beside it on many video stores this week is a fellow direct-to-video knockoff of this one called "DaVinci," starring Delroy Lindo and Jon Seda.

My Dinner with Andre: How can a movie about two guys talking be so entertaining, especially if neither one of them is Larry King? I'm skeptical, but this one apparently pulled it off. I only remember it for being the "go-to" jokey art film reference until the early Nineties. EXAMPLE: "While 'Top Gun' was no bastion of intelligence, 'Days of Thunder' makes it look like 'My Dinner with Andre.'"

The Monster Squad: The Complete Collection: Hey, Netflix, get this. I want to see Fred Grandy hunting monsters. Or is he a monster being hunted? See, Netflix, this is why I need to see this show for myself.

Do the Right Thing 20th Anniversary Edition: Controverisal? Yes. Inflammatory? Perhaps. But nothing Spike Lee has ever done in his career--including this, his breakthrough film--incites more anger than his worshipping of Kobe Bryant in that "Kobe Doin' Work" travesty on ESPN a few months back. Talk about doin' the wrong thing...

They Call Me Bruce: This week's "was on pay cable thousands of times when I was growing up" pick, only I can't vouch for it because I never watched the whole thing. You know how it is--everybody around you says it's so great, and you get kind of stubborn and go out of your way to NOT see it. At least, that's how we rolled in the 814.

Two Lovers: Joaquin Phoenix brought this one a lot of publicity when he made that infamous appearance on Letterman. So now this movie will always be known as the one he was promoting when he "flipped out." I'm sure everyone else involved in the production of this film appreciates that.

No comments: