Saturday, August 7, 2010

5Q Movie Review: Toy Story 3

Q: OK, give it up: Did it make you cry?
A: Well, I may have had something in my eye, but--oh, OK, maybe I didn't blubber, but like many other Pixar films, this one had me going full-on Jack Paar with the misty eyes. I have no idea how this company does it, apart from the effective storytelling, the sharp characterization, and the evocative music.

Q: Is third installment as good as the first two?
A: It's been a long time since I've seen either "1" or "2" in its entirety, but for now I have to say...yes, almost as good. You can't get the joy of discovery from a second sequel, of course, but you can and do get another fine movie that utilizes the love you have of the characters. Maybe "3" is a notch below those two, but it more than justifies itself, and that alone is an achievement in this era of seemingly automatic sequelization.

Q: Are the new characters as enjoyable as some of the missing ones?
A: Not to be disrespectful, but I think the franchise will survive the loss of Bo Peep. Ned Beatty does an awesome job as Lots-o-huggin' Bear, a toy whose "arc" might be guessable to some but still contains some interesting angles and moves. Then there is Michael Keaton having a blast as Ken. The character is how you might expect a Ken doll to be in a "Toy Story" movie but still with some surprises, and it's such a great performance you never think that the filmmakers are just playing into old Ken/Barbie jokes.

Q: Would you see a fourth?
A: I was skeptical of the potential of a third, but if Pixar can come up with another great concept, I'll go see it. That said, "Toy Story 3" offers a beautiful sense of both closure and new beginnings, and it would serve as a perfect end chapter for a trilogy. I'm tempted to say it "should" serve as a perfect end chapter, but I'm not gonna deny them if they think they can do it again.

Q: Can Pixar do anything wrong in your eyes? And when are you gonna go see another movie in a theater, you old man?
A: Hey, I'll get around to seeing "Inception"...maybe. I can't get to dozens of flicks a year anymore. As for Pixar, well, I finally saw "Wall-E" recently and thought it was just OK. But when the studio keeps producing outstanding movies, I like to keep praising 'em. "Toy Story 3" has it all: laughs, emotions, a thoughtful storyline, accessible ideas to chew on, and just a heckuva lot of fun. And don't underestimate the adventure aspect of the movie: One sequence in particular in which the characters face impending doom is so brilliant in its execution it puts you on the edge of your seat. I know that's a cliche, but I'm telling you, I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat.

So "Toy Story 3" is another winner, and as someone who may only get to see one movie with his wife in a theater this year, I can say if this is it, I picked well.

1 comment:

Vengadachalam T said...

Toy Story 3 is Good Animated Character Movie...It's nice Comedy movie....I watched the Free Trailer in here http://www.mtjunkie.org/toy-story-3-2010-06-12/ Before watching the movie...Really the Movie is nice...the Trailer Impressed me to watched the Movie in theater...