Sunday, August 29, 2010

Rave on, Rave Cinemas!

The local chain of gigundaplexes was bought out/absorbed/seized at gunpoint (hey, I don't know the business aspects of the exhibition industry) a while back, and while change was slow in coming, I'm starting to see some differences in the theater closest to me. I rarely go to the the-AY-ter these days, but just driving by, I can see one big change: The building with that most generic of titles adorning its front, "Multiplex Cinemas," somehow has an even blander appellation now: "Cinemas."

You have to admire the new owners, Rave, for taking down the Multiplex part and not bothering to put up a new sign or at least spring for the letters R-A-V-E. What was the big hurry in taking down the "Multiplex"? Yeah, it was the name of the theaters run by National Amusements, but it's not exactly a hallmark of distinctive brand establishment. Did Rave really worry that people strongly identified with a name as spartan as "Multiplex Cinemas"? Well, at any rate, we can all appreciate this action, or lack of action, because I'm sure by not installing a new sign on the front of the building, Rave is passing the savings on to us in the form of lower ticket and concession prices.

(If you believe that, I have a pair of tickets to "Jonah Hex II" I'd like to sell you.)

The other big change I see is on the vertical marquee-type sign that stands on the property; since it's tall enough to be seen from the highway, passersby can check out the current lineup of movies at the joint while they go to work, school, or their podiatrist appointment. It's kind of like a little billboard and serves as some effective free advertising for the theater.

Or I should say it DID. Rave has replaced the traditional system of putting the movie titles up on that sign with a new system that consists of telling us to go to their website for films and showtimes.

I'm sick of businesses telling me to go to the Internet to get something I used to be able to get offline. Why should I have to fire up my computer and go to some official site just to see what movies are playing right now? Oh, I could go into the theater, but that's hardly as convenient as just driving by it. I could also look at the newspaper for movie listings, but you know what? I stopped getting the newspaper, in part because it moved much of its content to the Internet.

Unlike the major exterior renovations Rave is (so far) avoiding, this inaction doesn't save money. I really don't see the point of taking away that simple marquee feature. In fact, I think only one person benefits from it: the poor sap who would otherwise have to go out there with a pole and a suction cup and change the letters on that sign each week. I can tell you from experience, that guy or gal must be breathing a huge sigh of relief every Thursday night.

No comments: