Thursday, October 21, 2010

Last Week and This Week in DVD

I'm doubling up again because it's still a sloooow time for DVDs. Isn't that holiday shopping season supposed to be coming soon? The economy hasn't canceled Christmas yet, has it?

Jonah Hex:
One of the bigger flops of 2011. Who would have thought audiences would shun a Western with a disfigured main character based on a low-selling comic book without A-list movie stars? I know I commented about this in Shark Bytes, but it bears repeating that I walked into a store a few weeks ago and saw a "Jonah Hex" movie calendar.

How to Train Your Dragon: Oh, sure, I see where THIS is going. First I got to train the dragon, then I got to buy it little sweaters, then I have to get it its own little house...What happened to the good, old days when you just pointed your dragon at your enemies, sat back in your castle, and got plastered on mead?

Johnny Staccato: How cool is it that Timeless has released this series on DVD? Real cool, man. Like jazz. Yeah, man. Dig it.

Marcus Welby Season 2: The doctor is IN, thanks to Shout Factory! Oh, come on, you were thinking it, too.

WWE Wrestling's Highest Flyers: Let's see--Rob Van Dam, Sean Waltman, Scott Hall--oh, wait, wrong kind of high flyer.

Predators: I don't even remember if this is a sequel, a reboot, or a sequel of a reboot, but I know they're getting a lot of mileage out of this concept.

Oceans: 71% of the world's surface is covered by oceans, so I guess they deserve a documentary. It'll look better on Blu-Ray than "Dirt."

Free to Be You and Me 36th Anniversary Edition: I'm elated they did something to commemorate this great milestone. I was really irritated when they let the 32nd Anniversary come and go without anything.

Warner Archives: I don't usually comment on these releases, but I have to give these guys credit this week for releasing a DVD set for 18 bucks, a half-dozen loosely called "horror." I haven't seen them all, but I know the timeless classic "Sh! The Octopus" is itself worth...well, it's worth something. Bravo to WA for offering something reasonably priced.

Then there's the Legends of the Superheroes disc, featuring the "Challenge" special and the "Roast" special. These goshawful live-action efforts (it would be sacrilege to invoke the name of a higher power in association with these) featured the DC heroes at their worst. Together, this pair of specials is poorly conceived, it's poorly executed, and it's often painful to watch. Naturally, I already own a bootleg VHS.

Warner Archives putting this out proves false the myth about the 1966 "Batman" show being kept off DVD because DC Comics thinks it makes the character look bad. After all, Adam West's Batman is here, along with Jeff Altman, Charlie Callas, and Ed McMahon.

The "legitimate" gray market, if there is such a thing, is steadily shrinking as this sort of thing starts trickling out. The sad thing is, I haven't been tempted to buy anything from Warner Archives, but I'm thinking about it now!

No comments: