Sunday, January 16, 2011

In theaters this weekend...

Green Hornet: I'm just not in the mood to see a "light" take on the Green Hornet, particularly one with Seth Rogen. I don't wish him ill or anything, but I don't wish to see two hours of him in an action movie, either. I'd give the guy a fair chance if the movie weren't all jokey and wise-ass, but every preview I've seen indicates the movie is pretty much all jokey and wise-ass. I don't know what to make of Michael Gondry's involvement, either, but I am starting to wonder if the idea of Directed by Michael Gondry is much more appealing than the execution of Directed by Michael Gondry.

The Dilemma: I was wondering for weeks why there was any kind of dilemma in this movie. Vince Vaughn sees Kevin James' wife cheating on him, and he apparently wrestles with the decision of whether or not to tell him. Of course you tell him in that situation, right? That is, unless there are extenuating circumstances, like that when you saw the cheating, you were looking in a mirror because you're the one sleeping with your buddy's wife. I wondered for a while if maybe that was the dilemma: that Vince Vaughn, who is married to Jennifer Connelly in this story, thinks if he withholds this info from Kevin James, he can somehow parlay it into a 3-way with James' wife, Winona Ryder (Incidentally, the guys are already doing pretty well for themselves in this scenario, 3-way, cheating, or otherwise).

Well, it turns out that there is more to it than I initially knew. Mild SPOILERS here: Winona is practicing ~sexual blackmail~ on Vaughn so he won't squeal (I don;t know if it really qualifies as such, but she threatens him, and sexual blackmail is so much more fun to write than just regular blackmail). Plus Vince and Kev work together, and Kevin has some big-deal project in the works that could go kablooey if James finds out about the infidelity and, instead of shrugging and thinking, "Well, I had a good run with such a hot wife for being such a big schlub," falls to pieces and gets all clingy about it.

No comments: