Friday, January 7, 2011

Last Week and This Week in DVD

The American: George Clooney gets all 70s-ish and COOL in this 70s-ish cool thriller. I don't know, when I think of the 1970s, I think gas shortages, inflation, and disco. I don't know if movies should try to recapture that decade's sensibility.

Resident Evil: Afterlife: These movies keep on coming. Part of me knows that Milla Jovovich does star in other films not in this series, but part of me refuses to believe that.

Archer Season 1: I wanted to love this FX animated spy comedy with H. Jon Benjamin, but not only did I not, I didn't even come back to watch it again. Should I give it another chance?

Classic TV Comedies of the 50s: Alpha Video issued another handful of old-school television releases this week, including a "Meet Corliss Archer" volume, but this one interests me because A) it consists of 4 episodes of the TV version of "The Great Gildersleeve" and B) Alpha didn't just call it "Great Gildersleeve." Seems weird. Some kind of licensing/copyright issue, maybe?

WWE: Bobby Heenan: Hopefully this release does justice to one of the funniest and most colorful personalities in pro wrestling history, a guy who could make dumb things hilarious just through his commitment to his character and his delivery. I'd like to see more about his pre-WWF days, too, though obviously I'm sure this release will concentrate on the 1980s managerial days.

Dinner for Schmucks: Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell = hilarious on paper. But this isn't a paper, it's a movie, and from the clips I saw, eh, not so hilarious.

Machete: I may not be crazy about Robert Rodriguez's output, but I have to admire the guy for seemingly making whatever he wants whenever he wants and not caring about much other than his fanbase. Plus anyone who makes a Danny Trejo vehicle probably deserves some kind of praise.

Rocky and Bullwinkle Complete Series: OK, the countdown to the distinct season 5 release that ought to be coming so fans don't have to repurchase the first 4 seasons starts right...NOW! Well, actually, a few days ago, but the point is it's ON.

Ricky Gervais Show Season 1: Another animated comedy I wanted to love but didn't. I listened to the podcasts and found the material funnier in that format. Yet now I read that it's on DVD and I feel like giving it another shot.

Mannix Season 4: The theme song is already in my head. I really like this show, but I'm way behind in watching the DVDs. Hmm. Maybe I ought to focus more on the shows that I know I enjoy rather than pondering second chances for the shows I don't.

No comments: