Monday, February 21, 2011

The Rock says...why can't anyone find me a better movie?

Last week, The Rock made a triumphant return to WWE's flagship program, "Monday Night Raw," and raised the buzz to a level not seen in the company for a long, long time. He merely stood in the center of the ring and yakked for 20 minutes, but that was enough to captivate the live crowd and draw raves from fans and industry followers everywhere.

Seeing the clip and recalling his massive charisma makes me again wonder, why is this guy not a bigger Hollywood star? Granted, he has had a successful movie career thus far, but he's more known for mid-level hits and has yet to find that signature franchise blockbuster smash. I don't think it's a case of Dwayne Johnson being a big fish in a small pond who is unsuited for larger stardom in the larger world of motion pictures. I believe that somehow the movie industry has squandered his gifts.

I mean, whether or not you enjoy pro wrestling--and I might as well declare now that I don't watch the current WWE product--you must concede Johnson possesses a strong blend of presence, comic timing, and cleverness, all in a physically imposing package. Maybe Rock has hurt his own cause by "settling" for REALLY light roles in family-oriented comedies, but when I look at what's going on in movies, I have to wonder, what is it? Hollywood thinks it doesn't need credible action heroes with actual personality?

I've made this call before, and I will repeat it here: Hollywood, you need to come up with a suitable star vehicle for this guy. Don't worry about pleasing pro wrestling fans. Worry about pleasing millions of movie fans who are starved for legitimate ass-kicking cinematic heroes they can buy a ticket to see without feeling embarrassed.

No comments: