Friday, February 4, 2011

This Week in DVD

Conviction: Hillary Swank does something noble to help someone, but she has enough Oscars, so no one really feels the need to see this.

Never Let Me Go: I don't know much about this one, and I don't think it had much impact as a 2010 theatrical release, but Dave Poland called it his number one film of the year, so that has to count for something.

Mean Girls 2: On the list of "Movies that really didn't need a sequel," I give you "Mean Girls." And that's all I give you today. I'm not made of money, you know.

Lucky Lady: How bad can a movie with Gene Hackman and Burt Reynolds, one directed by Stanley Donen no less, actually BE? Well, maybe pretty bad. After all, this was a big ol' bomb when it came out in1975, and this DVD isn't even coming from Fox itself, the original studio, but from Shout through a licensing deal. So it's not a big property today. But maybe there is something interesting in here.

Red River: When I saw the title on a list of new releases, I thought, "Hey, Criterion is releasing the Howard Hawks classic oater?" Uh...no, at least it isn't this week. I'm pretty sure the Hawks film doesn't feature poster art that includes the phrase "Deviant Cannibal Torture."

Franklin Triple Feature: Don't know what 3 episodes are included, but I do know the kids' show about a lovable but still learning turtle has a great Bruce Cockburn theme song. "Hey, it's Franklin...coming over to playyyyy...." I'm serious, folks. Check it out.

The Prowler: Aaaaaaand right to my Wishlist you go. Thanks to the Film Noir Foundation and VCI for restoring this long-neglected flick. I need to pick up that DVD, too, since I somehow missed each screening TCM gave it last year. My loss is VCI's gain.

No comments: