Friday, February 18, 2011

This Week in DVD

Just to be different this week, I'm going to pepper my comments with inane, pointless, not necessarily genuine political messages.

Unstoppable: Denzel Washington and New Captain Kirk are involved in some kind of caper involving a speeding train they have to stop as it races down tracks and through the tunnels--uh-oh, is this some kind of extended sexual metaphor? 'Cause if so, I'm getting off this Tony Scott train. Or maybe this movie is a coded liberal plea for us to sink billions of dollars into Obama's high-speed rail proposals.

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger: Whoa, I totally forgot that this movie was a Woody Allen movie, or that it even came out, period. What kind of world are we in where we can forget that Woody Allen had a movie out in the fall? Clearly the kind of world in which Sarah Palin can be taken seriously by a large segment of the population.

Waiting for Superman: A documentary about the problems with education in this country. Sounds like a heartfelt, thoughtful movie. Sounds depressing, too, to be honest, and I'm tempted to just pick up an old Superman comic book instead. Hey, instead of waiting for Superman, why don't these liberal filmmakers wait for global warming? They'll be waiting a long time!

The Fugitive Season 4, Volume 2: "February 13, 2011--The day CBS/Paramount's shoddy treatment of a classic series stopped." Well, it's finally out in its entirety, sort of on DVD, and we can see the famous final episode again and see if Richard Kimble can catch that one-armed man. Kimble was probably really running from Obamacare and the Democrat-imposed death panels!

Murphy's Law Series 3: I have to catch up and watch the rest of this British cop show, but I can tell you the third series is what got me into the show. It's good stuff--how could it not be, since it stars the great James Nesbitt--and it's loaded with crime, violence, torture, and the authorities obliterating boundaries. You know, kind of like the Bush administration.

The Rich Little Show: MPI releases this curio, a variety show starring--well, it stars everybody if it stars Rich Little, doesn't it? Hey, this DVD set is too important to mar with political commentary, so I'll just direct you to one of Little's old routines. Now, there was a man who did incisive political humor. (OK, I'm being kind of a wise-ass for no apparent reason, but I am genuinely curious about this release and look forward to getting some real info about it and the show itself.)

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I'll take a pass on the Rich Little release...only because I watched it when it was originally on (yes, I'm that old). British comic Joe Baker does the best Lou Costello impression you'll ever see, though.

Rick Brooks said...

Thank you for wading through my blistering political commentary to add a productive comment, Ivan. I think this one looks like a rental. It's too bad some of the most obscure releases, and thus the ones I most am reluctant to blind-buy, are the ones not showing up for rental these days.