Saturday, June 25, 2011

OK, RTV is just messing with me now

Yet again, my FIOS on-screen programming guide is showing changes afoot for my local RTV affiliate, but this time, the changes also appear at TitanTV and Zap2It. Some of these changes are good, some are bad, some are puzzling, but you'll understand why I don't go into great detail considering what happened last time I made a big post about the supposed changes.

Buuuuuuut...since I'm here, anyway...

According to these listings, joining the weekday lineup is "Route 66" (yay!), "Naked City" (a most pleasant and welcome surprise if true), "The Saint" (not bad), and "Starsky and Hutch" (Talk about random! I did not see that one coming).

Unfortunately, "Da Vinci's Inquest," way too modern for the RTV format, is apparently joining the weeknight lineup, as is..."Celebrity Kitchen"? I think this is a show hosted by Crook of the venerable country lifestyle team Crook and Chase, and, uh, yeah. I don't want to see that at all. What happened to "Celebrity Bowling"? And the show is listed as airing at both 11:00 A.M. and 1:00 P.M., which makes no sense whatsoever.

These listings also show "Daniel Boone" as airing at both 7:00 and 9:00 P.M. This also must be a mistake, right? I'll have to get that DVR cranking Monday to find out.

Weekends also show wholesale changes, mostly with some of the westerns getting booted in favor of filler-type syndicated programming like "Steel Dreams" and "The Great Outdoorsman," plus more too-recent series like "Cold Squad" and "Intelligence." I really hope the weekend lineup is "subject to change" because right now it looks terrible.

I have a theory that there is some kind of preview next weekend for RTV's parent company's other services like TuffTv and MyFamilyTV; some of these oddball additions already appear on are would seem appropriate for those outlets. Of course, it's also possible that RTV's "build your own channel" model is allowing my local affiliate to create this horrible mishmash of a schedule and I'm going to be stuck with it.

Well, it might all be worth it if we get the "Naked City" episodes that aren't already on DVD. I ain't getting my hopes up, though. Actually, if anything, I'm more aggravated about the prospect of "Celebrity Kitchen" than I am excited about "Naked City," which I guess says more about me than about the perpetual wackiness of RTV.

5 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Naked City. You are a most fortunate coach potato, my friend.

Kevin said...

I am so happy our local station dropped RTV for MeTv. The only thing I miss is the Adam-12/Dragnet block.

The Untouchables and Combat more than make up for those losses.

Rick Brooks said...

Again, this is subject to change, or to never even happen, but the listings (those darned listings) indicate the hourlong episodes of "Naked City" air weekdays and the half-hour ones Sundays. I'll believe it when I see it. That might indeed make up for Crook and Chase on Sunday evening.

Rick Brooks said...

Kevin, I'd love to get MeTV myself, but not at the expense of RTV. I want it all! ME's lineup doesn't look as adventurous as it did before it went national, but, hey, a lot of those great shows aren't on anywhere else, so who am I to complain? Actually, what am I saying? I want ME to save the rare goodies until _I_ get it =)

Kevin said...

Rick,

If I got to program our RTV station I'd be fine. :-)

Sadly, Airwolf, The A-Team, The Incredible Hulk, Magnum etc. hold no interest for me.