Sunday, June 12, 2011

This week and last week in DVD

True Grit: The success of this film proves to me that Hollywood is not making enough Westerns. There's a perception that the genre isn't commercial anymore, but all you need to do is get top-class directors like the Coens, an award-winning lead like Jeff Bridges, another A-lister like Matt Damon, and an existing property with strong name recognition from an earlier iconic film version. See? Simple.

Just Go With It: I remember when this Adam Sandler vehicle was coming out and the ads made it appear as thought the movie was basically an excuse to ogle Brooklyn Decker for 90 minutes. I was appalled that a major studio would ask us to pay 10 bucks to see that. Now that it's on DVD, though, I'm kind of cool with it.

The Company Men: A movie that looks at the toll taken on us by the faltering economy. It's supposed to be quality stuff, but I gotta be honest; if I were standing at a Redbox, I'd pick the one with Brooklyn Decker.

Another Year: The latest from brilliant director Mike Leigh, who keeps cranking out acclaimed, accessible films about the human condition, and since I haven't seen hardly any of them, I'm kind of talking out my butt.

Sanctum: I totally forgot about this underwater cave flick, too, so let me refresh your memory. Remember that 3-D movie that came out a few months ago with ads trumpeting "Executive Producer James Cameron" but really wasn't a James Cameron movie, per se? Well, Sanctum came close to matching "Avatar's" success, and maybe it'll make up the other 2,016,000,000 or so on video.

Blue Crush 2: I swear I was set to make a wise-ass remark about how we need an "Into the Deep 2" until I remembered that actually happened two years ago.

Love's Kitchen: I don't know anything about this except that it stars Claire Forlani, and whatever happened to her? I used to like her a lot.

Green Lantern Emerald Knights: Not the big budget Ryan Reynolds live action film, but a direct-to-video animated effort tying in with it. Hey, what can I say, I'm all about providing useful info for you folks.

Foo Fighters: Back and Forth: I saw this on VH-1 Classic a few months ago. It rocked.

Hall Pass: There seems to be a big market for crude R-rated comedies about schlub guys acting like jackasses. SEEMS to be, that is, as this one didn't do all that well. Psst! It's a Farrelly Brothers movie, despite the apparent attempt to hide the fact, so this movie has the right to be a crude R-rated comedy. In fact, you might even say it gets a...

Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son: Despite what you may think, the subtitle is not an homage to the 1987 Kirk Cameron/Dudley Moore body-switching epic, but I think body switching is the only gimmick left for this franchise. I think Tyler Perry's Madea has made the Momma character passe, and good Lord, I can't believe I'm writing that.

Battle: Los Angeles: I still can't tell if this is the Aaron Eckhart movie, the similarly titled knockoff with Nia Peeples, or the video game. Please send the answer to feelsoutoftouchbecausehedoesn'tplayvideogamesanymore.com

Red Riding Hood: I can't figure out who's supposed to watch this besides teenage girls who might get tricked into thinking it's a "Twilight" spinoff. Come to think of it, I can kind of see the logic if someone thought there'd be enough of them to make this a hit.

Kill the Irishman: A 1970s crime movie based on real events involving the mob in Cleveland--hey, that's a crime movie subject you don't see every week--and featuring names like Christopher Walken, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Val Kilmer. This might actually be good! Truth be told, though, I didn't know it would be something I'd want to rent when I listed it here. I just wanted to highlight it as the Wacky Title of the Week.

Celebrity Bowling: I will direct you to this review at Sitcoms Online and tell you that I enjoyed the heck out of this series when ESPN Classic aired it last year. If you want to revisit the 1970s, first of all, why? But this time capsule should do the trick. By the way, it's nice to see another release from S'More Entertainment, which has put out some cool stuff but hasn't done a lot lately.

WWE: The Very Best of Monday Nitro: History gets written by the victors as the WWE puts out a collection of moments of the flagship program of the organization it essentially ran out of business. It's a worthy subject for a DVD retrospective, but I think "The Very Worst of Monday Nitro" might be more entertaining.

No comments: