Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Cultureshark Holiday Gift Guide

Here are some last-last-minute suggestions I have for your gift-giving pleasure this year.

For a music lover: Gift card to a a local record shop, preferably one with a big Used selection (if such a thing exists in your area). -Let me tell you something I now realize about gift cards. When you give someone one of these, assuming it's something you're reasonably sure the recipient can use, it's not a cop out or a thoughtless gesture. Quite the contrary, it's almost a double gift. You're not just giving money, you're giving time. In other words, your gift card, especially if to a brick-and-mortar store of some kind, is an excuse for someone to take the time to get out of the house, put aside other worries, and spend time looking for cool stuff. To me, that's a very thoughtful present.

For movie lover: Gift card to local indie/arthouse theater (if one is nearby): This is another dual-purpose kind of gift for the film snob in your life. She gets to support the local establishment, plus right now is when the so-called prestige or smart pictures are allegedly arriving, so the holiday timing is perfect.

For classic movie lover: "Touch of Evil" Anniversary Edition DVD. I don't have this one yet, but judging by the reviews for the disc, as well as the movie itself, I'm confident in calling this a worthy package. You get a fascinating film along with a plethora of extras detailing its production, and the complex history of "Touch of Evil" makes its history particularly intriguing. I'd have to think a serious film fan could at least get something out of this set. One of the attractive things about it as a gift is the relatively low MSRP compared to, say, a Criterion DVD.

For a comic book lover: Subscription to "Comics Buyers Guide" or "Back Issue" magazines. The monthly "CBG" is geared towards older collectors, with extensive coverage of Silver Age and Golden Age material and a general focus on history more than trendy current books (though the front of the mag covers that sort of thing). There is a lot of fun in each issue, and seeing it in my mailbox gives me the thrill I used to get by picking up new comics s.

"Back Issue" is another fun magazine, and it's a must-read for anyone who grew up on comic books of the seventies and/or eighties. It comes every two months and is a bit pricey, but its combination of historical articles and varied illustrations (including rare original art to accompany the text) makes it worth it. It may be hard to find, though, especially if a comic store isn't nearby (and then maybe even if it is), making a sub a great convenience.

For a classic TV lover: Season 2 of "Mr. Peepers." I have an agenda in promoting this one because the studio releasing it, S'Mores, reportedly did poorly with its "Make Room for Daddy" set. I like what I've seen of their work and want them to continue in the classic TV on DVD game.

"Peepers" might not be for everyone's tastes; it's a gentle comedy with a sensibility you just don't see in sitcoms today. But that's part of what makes it so fascinating to watch today. I don't have season 2 yet, but I hear the technical quality, particularly the sound, is improved over season 1, so this looks like a great purchase--an opportunity to give an vintage TV fan something different and support a small label that looks to have its heart in the right place.

For a baseball nut: "The Baseball Project Volume 1" is a fine rock album that will delight the sport's fans. This CD, of course, has been discussed here before and also here.

For a book lover: The easy thing would be to recommend gift card again, and I know I love having some free money in my pocket when I walk into a bookstore (or shop online). I could also recommend one of the many cool books I enjoyed this year, some of which I still intend to cover on this blog. But at the risk of sounding corny, I'd just say if you have a chance to give a loved one/friend/person-you-tolerate something that facilitates some reading time, go for it. I'm kind of thinking along the lines of that "browsing" concept again. Time is a precious commodity, and I think reading is one of the first things to go. A comfy chair, a snazzy set of bookmarks, one of those mini-lamp thingies--anything that encourages and gives someone the impetus to say, "Hey, yeah, I deserve an hour or so with a good book," is a worthy gift. Not giving me flak when I take a book along to the mall is also appreciated, but I doubt my wife is reading this.

No comments: