Thursday, December 18, 2008

Journey Into DVD: New Faces

I discovered Netflix carries Critics Choice's DVD release of "New Faces," a 1954 film of the 1952 edition of a long-running stage production. I've been curious to see this ever since I read a biography of Paul Lynde. See, Lynde made a name for himself in this revue, and he apparently got a lot of mileage out of a "Trip to Africa" monologue he performed which is recreated here.

After renting "New Faces," I can say my curiosity is satisfied, but that's about all. Unfortunately, this production is 100 minutes of mostly dull musical numbers and comedy bits with a perfunctory backstage romance storyline thrown in for the film. Lynde is barely here, and his big monologue is terrible. The apparent punchlines don't register, and it looks like Lynde is forcing his distinctive laugh in a desperate attempt to wring laughs from a weak routine. But then he did this many times on stage, so what do I know? Maybe something, or everything, is just lost in translation.

Mel Brooks is credited as a writer, but it's far from his finest moment. It's kind of fun seeing future sitcom notables like Alice Ghostley and Robert Clary, and Eartha Kitt provides some energy with her songs, but overall this is a dated production. Making viewing more difficult is the bad transfer, which looks like it came from a VHS dub (and for all I know, it did). The editing is awkward between segments, but I think that's part of the original presentation. Worst of all, this is shot in Cinemascope despite the "direction" which mostly makes us an audience in a theater watching a stage play.

The real treat of this DVD is an unexpected one: A complete episode of the Dorsey brothers' CBS program "Stage Show." This is another artifact I've long wanted to check out. The show is perhaps best known today for being the lead-in to the Classic 39 episodes of "The Honeymooners" the year that Jackie Gleason downsized his variety hour and paired half-hour versions of his most famous sketch with the Dorsey's musically-oriented show.

I guess this episode is a bonus feature, though it receives equal billing on the DVD menu. You get some big band music featuring the Dorseys, some action from Gleason's famed June Taylor Dancers, and Sarah Vaughn singing two numbers (including "Over the Rainbow).

And you also get Morey Amsterdam. He always makes me laugh, even when I'm not sure why. When he's introduced here, he turns around and asks, "Nice arrangement. Who made it, Marjorie Main?" His routine is old-timey, maybe even corny comedy, and I love it, especially compared to the unfunny comedy of "New Faces."

So there you have it: I didn't even know about the "Stage Show" episode, and it wound up making the DVD worthwhile for me.

No comments: