Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This Week in DVD

The Dark Knight: I haven't seen this yet, but I sure want to. I'm hoping that my folks buy this one so that we can all watch it on their big TV over the holidays.

HA! I'll bet you never read that kind of incisive DVD commentary from Ken Tucker.

Fox's Murnau and Borzage Box Set: It's amazing that this kind of hardcore cinephile set is coming out under the Fox banner. Too bad Fox lumped all the movies together in one expensive package, with the big link being that they're all old. Would Warners release am Eastwood and Scorcese Collection? Hey, that might be kind of cool, but never mind. I don't know much about these directors or these movies, but I note that it includes a Will Rogers picture, and I never met a Will Rogers DVD I didn't like.

Happy Days Season 4: Paramount is apparently still cutting music, but at least it's not splitting the seasons in half. I used to love, love, love "Happy Days" reruns in my misspent youth, and nowadays I'm amazed I used to watch and enjoy some of these episodes so many times--or even once, in many cases. But season 4 includes the introduction of the great Al Molinaro as restaurant impresario Big Al and the not-so-great Officer Kirk as Fonz's nemesis. Also look for undeniable cheese classics when Fonz and Pinky Tuscadero battle the Malachi brothers (my friends and I used to reference "The Malachi Crunch" in every neighborhood football game we played for about 3 years) and Arthur Fonzarelli makes a memorable appearance in a dance marathon with "Shortcake."

As I look over the episode list, two great sitcom cliches jump out as well, as the gang gets trapped in a time capsule and Fonzie becomes indebted to Potsie after Mr. Weber saves him from a fire. Yep, I used to watch this stuff every day after school, folks.


Man on Wire: This is ze movie about ze man who walked on ze wire--OK, that's already way too annoying. Sorry. This is a cool-sounding documentary of Phillippe Petit, who walked along a high wire connecting the Twin Towers in 1974. My official "I Want to See It" disc of the week, or at least the "I want to see it, and I'll probably have to get it myself because I can't rely on my parents to get it" disc of the week.

Philadelphia Phillies 2008 World Series DVD: What? How did this make it into this post? I still refuse to acknowledge this. Buy another copy of the 2007 Red Sox World Series DVD instead. Or buy a cheesesteak. Anything but this.

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I've seen the Will Rogers movie (They Had to See Paris) and my only regret is that they're not releasing it separately as a single disc. It's clearly his best film.

Rick Brooks said...

No kidding? Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that one out.