Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Leverage" on TNT

If you're hoping to read a take on the new drama "Leverage" appearing weekly on TNT, well, sorry. I haven't seen it yet. What I want to write about is what keeps coming to my mind when I see or hear anything about this show.

First of all, I think any of us who saw "Battlefield Earth," if we admit to it, will share horrible flashbacks each time we hear the word "leverage." I'm still a little hazy on the details, but I think the Klingon-wannabe aliens in the movie believe achieving leverage is the ultimate goal of all reality. I don't recall exactly how they went about getting it--perhaps some kind of giant laser?

All I know is that John Travolta and other less Scientological actors in that film used the word so many times that to this day, I still think the movie's title is "Leverage," and it takes a good 30 seconds of staring at the IMDB page to convince me otherwise.

So when I hear a radio ad for TNT's "Leverage," I picture Timothy Hutton in bizarre alien makeup, grinning with a devilish twinkle and asking, "They think they have leverage? Those fools! I'll show them leverage!" As bad as "Battlefield Earth" is, if the TNT series offered anything like that, I would have seen it by now and might well be discussing it. Instead, I think Timothy Hutton is just plain Timothy Hutton, and good for him, but...eh, I can wait a while.

The other thing that comes to mind is a scenario that played out on numerous WWF telecasts in the 1980s. Brit color announcer Lord Alfred Hayes would remark on a wrestler utilizing an excellent "leeverage" move, and a wise-ass partner in the booth--either Bobby Heenan or even Gorilla Monsoon--would ask if that is anything like a "leverage" move.

But then, I'm sure we all think of that when we hear the word, right?

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I probably won't be watching this show anytime soon (I think TNT's a bit full of themselves when they assert that they "know drama") but I did see a promo for it on TBS earlier this evening. I recognized the brunette as Gina Bellman, who played Jane in the Britcom hit Coupling.

Rick Brooks said...

For the record, I did see the first episode and found it fun but nonessential.

I like Gina Bellman a lot on "Coupling," but she really gets a chance to shine in the excellent "Jekyll" with James Nesbitt. Having only seen her do daffy on "Coupling," I was stunned.