Monday, December 8, 2008

My final pull list

A few days ago, I explained why I am basically giving up buying new comics regularly. Well, to make this blog even more self-indulgent--and isn't that the perpetual goal of bloggers everywhere?--I present my final pull list, the titles I was buying each month. I like these books, just not enough to change my decision. Note that I'm a DC guy, and I gave up what was my only Marvel, "She-Hulk," months ago, but I have read many Marvels through the courtesy of my friend Mike.

*Batman: Grant Morrison's take on the Caped Crusader has provided a lot of cool moments. I can't imagine buying comics on a regular basis and not getting a Batman title.
*Detective Comics: Or two Batman titles. I wasn't always crazy about the art on Paul Dini's run, and I got kind of tired of seeing Scarface, and it got away from its promise of offering Done-In-One tales each month, but still.
*Justice League of America: This book lost a lot of its luster for me when Brad Meltzer left--actually, it lost some during the disappointing "Lightning Saga"--but I loved the JLA ever since I was a wee lad. I'm sick of Vixen, who has dominated "Justice League" this past year, but as long as I'm buying comics, I'm buying a JLA title if I can.
*Justice Society of America: Though the current storyline has gone on and on and on, I love the characters and the whole legacy of the Earth-2 thing. This relaunch hasn't yet matched Johns' first run (Gee, reading me complain about all these comics, is it any wonder I'm getting out?), but it's still rich in DC history and character interaction.
*Green Lantern: Johns did wonders in resurrecting Hal Jordan and slowly filling in gaps in his history. I just wish Ethan Van Sciver could have drawn this every month.
*Birds of Prey: I told Mike a while back that I hoped I wasn't buying this one just because I like seeing hot superhero chicks like Huntress in costumes.
*Will Eisner's The Spirit: The current run of Mark Evanier and Sergio Aragones, with various artists, focuses on lighter aspects, and it's usually a delight. Unique in today's DC Comics landscape for delivering complete stories each month that don't require dozens of visits to Wikipedia for orientation.
*Booster Gold: When Johns and Jeff Katz were writing this, it was one of the most fun titles around. I don't know if it can keep up the momentum, but "Booster" was really one of my biggest surprises of the last few years.
*Final Crisis: The latest mega blockbuster from DC. I have finally reached "event fatigue" after all these hyped-up miniseries with their endless crossovers. As for "Final Crisis" itself, I'm still not sure how much I like it, but I know this: I just stopped buying it in the middle of its run, and I feel no urgency to pick up the remaining issues.
*Final Crisis Legion of 3 Worlds: Johns' take on the Legion of Superheroes is a bit confusing, featuring several different incarnations of the group, but I'm confident it'll all come together. Besides, you get George Perez drawing the Legion. 'Nuff said.

No comments: