Friday, February 13, 2009

I'm sick of horror movies on Friday the 13th

Today marks the return of the "Friday the 13th" franchise, one that apparently continues only to provide marketable product for a film studio to release on actual Fridays 13. And of course, we usually get a romantic comedy or female-centric movie to commemorate a Valentine's Day weekend, as well, but at least that's an actual holiday.

I don't mind movies being released to coincide with holidays, or even made for that reason, but coordinating their production to fit a date is a little much. Each Friday 13, if there isn't a Jason movie, there's some kind of horror movie to try to capitalize on the supposed OOH, SCARY nature of that "unlucky occasion."

This strategy has run its course. I want to see some variety. For example, we usually get big blockbusters for the Fourth of July, and maybe every now and then something that actually tries to be patriotic, like, well, "The Patriot," but I don't count movies like "Independence Day."

No, I want to see actual July 4 movies on or around July 4. Why should HBO be the only place to see the Founding Fathers? I say every Independence Day, give me something with guys in cool wigs bitching about the Brits. I suppose some kind of rah-rah jingoistic war movie will do, but I want the tradition to focus on the Revolutionary War era.

If we can get more horror movies just because the 13th happens to fall on a Friday, why can't we get, say, a Gouverneur Morris biopic for the Fourth?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

here here!