Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Panel Discussion: Dick Tracy Part 2


"My, oh, my, forget Tess Trueheart," you must be asking, "Who is THIS lovely lady? This handsome woman is none other than Lu, mastermind of a counterfeiting ring. How could such a doll get caught up in high crimes? How did she go from "Collier's" to wanted posters, from runways to police lineups, from billboards to APBs? How will a delicate flower like this survive in the hothouse of a women's prison?

Before we leave, let's take another look at the police chief's share of the witty repartee. Not only does he throw out an effective variant of the classic "wouldn't trust you as far as," line, but he spices it up with a reference to his lumbago. Cutting and to the point, yet self-deprecating--THAT'S how you banter with a criminal.

Not that I really believe poor Lu is a criminal. I guess I'm just taken in by her feminine wiles, but despite several weeks' worth of strips providing evidence to the contrary, I find myself believing that she really is just a victim of circumstance. Dick Tracy can make mistakes, too, you know!

This is yet another fine panel from Volume 1 of IDW's reprint series. I posted part 1 on Friday. Stay tuned, fans, because next week, part 3 of the Dick Tracy Panel Discussions features one of the most shocking comic strip scenes ever as we get back to good old-fashioned mayhem.

No comments: