Thursday, February 19, 2009

This Week in DVD

Changeling: For a movie directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Angelina Jolie, this sure seemed to come and go without much fuss. So the sober period piece died a quiet death, while the movie Eastwood starred in as a grumpy old racist ("Gran Torino") was a big hit. There's a lesson in here somewhere. Maybe the lesson is that "Changeling" bites.

Body of Lies: Is this a Ridley Scott political thriller or a biopic of Pamela Anderson? HEY-YOOOO!

See, she had a lot of surgery, and--ah, never mind. It would be funnier if you could see me say it with my hands in my pockets and rocking back slightly on my heels.

Anyway, this one flopped despite Leo and Russell and gave more fodder to those who say audiences don't want to see "serious" movies with political overtones, especially those that deal with the Middle East.

Beverly Hillbillies Season 3 and Murder She Wrote Season 9: I don't watch either of those, but so what? Paramount seems finally committed to issuing one of its most popular classic sitcoms, and as for "Murder," well, I'm impressed anytime a company gets around to issuing a ninth season of anything. After my rant yesterday, I want to present some good TV on DVD news.

Flash of Genius: Greg Kinnear plays the guy who invented intermittent windshield wipers, then saw Ford rip him off. Yeah, that's pretty much it. Believe it or not, this didn't premiere on TNT, but in real, live thee-ay-ters.

No comments: