Thursday, May 7, 2009

Budget DVD Theater: Twenty-One

This series is, of course, famous for being crooked, and if you ask me (or just read me, really), the episode on a dollar DVD I bought at Target a few years ago titled "Game Show Classics" is no exception. "Twenty-One" is so crooked, I have to tilt my head 45 degrees just to watch it.

Actually, I don't know that this episode is rigged, and I don't think I want to know. While watching it, I sure get the feeling that something is up. Is that because of the show's reputation? Yeah, that's part of it, but not all.

Two contestants square off in this one, as the show joins a match in progress "the fourth tie game in a row," according to the announcer)between the champion, Hank; and challenger, Harold. It a thrilling game with drama, tension, and a down-to-the-wire finish. It's almost too good to be true, you might say.

What really catches my eye isn't the game play itself, but rather how the contestants behave. The champ has a habit of taking a lot of his time allotted to give a response, often coming up short initially on one component. Then he makes a big show of thinking, furrowed brow in place, until finally he gets a flash in his eyes, and he says something like, "Oh, I know," and then blurts it out as though it just came to him.

Notice my language is slanted in favor of it all being an act. I admire the whole spectacle if it is; this contestant gives a hell of a performance.

On the other side, the challenger doesn't quite deliver that kind of drama, but he has a just-bordering-on-wise-ass kind of grin that offers a nice contrast to the champ. Harold doesn't throw in the big pauses as often, but he talks through the questions as if he's working the problems out loud to get the answer.

At the end of the show, everyone shakes hands and soaks in the moment, enjoying the aftermath of an outstanding game show match-up. I don't want to give away the dynamics of the match, but you can't help but wonder if quiz programs should be rigged. This episode is a lot of fun, and I don't care if it's all staged. Maybe today a game show scandal would irritate me, but in the realm of Budget DVD Theater, looking back at a show of yore, it's part of the charm, and I almost want it to be as crooked as my suspicions indicate.

To think this DVD only cost a buck! Ah, how I miss the days of rooting through bins for hidden treasures. This disc, which features 5 other old-school TV quiz shows, is surely one of the best dollar DVDs of all time.

No comments: