Thursday, May 21, 2009

First Impulse: Comedy Central's new shows

Over the next week or so, I'll be giving my early reactions to the new fall schedules announced by the networks. Comedy Central is a cable channel, and it doesn't really have a schedule so much as a "Find new show, play it 10 times a week" strategy, but I'll start by expressing my first take on the new shows that CC ordered for the near future, a lineup which I first saw listed here.

*Ugly Americans: Comedy Central could use some fresh animated blood, and this one sounds interesting. It's New York City, and "creatures from the horror and fantasy genres live among ordinary people." I'll give it a try, but I fear it could turn out to be another "Drawn Together."

*Untitled Jamie Foxx Project: Uh, no. An animated show based on his satellite radio show? He HAS a radio show? Does he sing like Ray Charles for 45 minutes, then talk to his entourage for 15?

*Untitled Andy Dick Project: The article says this sketch/variety show will be 11 minutes long, which seems odd but is even odder when you consider it's about 9 more minutes than most of us can stand the guy. I don't know why people keep thinking there's some kind of untapped genius in Andy Dick that doesn't involve him passing out in nightclubs or scuffling with Jon Lovitz. Hey, that would be a show right there.

*Untitled Ron White Project: I just don't "get" Ron White, but I guess I'm not a Heartland kind of guy. Heartland, this one's for you. (True story: I didn't even read the description before I wrote my comment. Then I went back, read the synopsis, and saw that it actually used the word "heartland" and, unlike me, not in a smart-ass context.)

*Best Buds: Marijuana comedy. Probably lame. But I can't believe Method Man and Redman haven't already made a movie with this title.

*Midwest Teen Sex Show: This can't possibly be as interesting as its name. It sounds like "Loveline" lite, but I'm wary of anything that promises to discuss subjects with "comic verve."

*Gypsy Cab: Judah Friedlander is a nutty cab driver who picks up a bunch of guests that, from the article's indications, happen to be a bunch of comedians. I don't know if they play "themselves," like sort of a taxi-driving "Dr. Katz," but that could work.

*The Life: "will reunite Ice Cube and DJ Pooh for their first project since the film 'Friday.'" FINALLY! Hallelujah! How can Cube have gone so long without reuniting with DJ Pooh?

*Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down: Hey, a show based on that movie that's on cable all the time but that I never watch.

*The Sklar Brothers Sports Comedy Show: I like the Sklars and, believe it or not, I miss their ESPN Classic series "Cheap Seats." This sounds promising--they play brothers who own a trading card company--but haven't they been doing the same thing on the web?

*The Invadersteins: Good title for this animated show about an alien couple that is left behind by its invading brethren when the attack goes wrong. This sounds like it could be kind of good.

*Ghosts/Aliens: A comedy about "stoners that expose the truth about ghosts and aliens." I bet someone was pissed that the title "Best Buds" was taken.

There are some promising projects here and some that I promise not to watch. But Comedy Central can always use some new blood. I respect that it remains true to its roots in showing standup as often as it does, and I can't argue with the success and impact of "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report." But its original scripted series often miss with me, and the ones that I do like pop up in short batches, then disappear to reruns for months. So I welcome the network giving a bunch of green lights and seeing what sticks.

No comments: