Monday, February 18, 2013

10 Biggest Revelations from Paul McCartney's Commentary Track on "Magical Mystery Tour"


10) The nonsensical, plotless spectacle wasn't scripted.

9) During production, no one really paid attention to how post-production would go.

8) The Beatles wanted to go out on their own and do something unique and innovative--an art film, really.

7) But of course they also wanted to pack the film with old comedians and character actors they liked, plus all of their buddies.

6) Paul encouraged each of the others to contribute their own ideas (Translation: "Don't blame me for goofy stuff like the spaghetti scene").

5) The romantic beach sequence with Buster Bloodvessel and Aunt Jessie--one of the most tender, evocative, non-hallucinogenic in the film--was originally banned by the BBC for being "too weird."

4) McCartney was surprised to hear that Steven Spielberg and classmates studied "MMT" in film school. Who would have thought even a Beatle would have to resort to a deft humblebrag every now and then?

3) But Sir Paul, reminiscent of Michael Jordan in his Hall of Fame induction speech, is still peeved enough by critics' responses to the project to close his commentary by giving them a sarcastic "thank you."

2) The artistic significance of the stripper sequence? The Beatles liked seeing girls take their clothes off.

1) Paul can actually remember any of this despite being on an extended "Magical Mystery Tour" of his own for the better part of the late sixties.

It may read like I'm teasing Macca, and it may sound like I'm teasing Macca, but don't let that fool you; I really am teasing Macca. In all seriousness, though, I do admire him for recording a commentary track for the DVD. He didn't have to do that. Surely he wants to get his spin on the project out there, but still, in an era of general decline in bonus features, this is a delightful extra that adds value to the disc.

As for "Magical Mystery Tour" itself, I enjoyed watching it with my dad, then my friends, though it's a self-indulgent and often frustrating piece of work. Viewing it today only makes you wonder why there isn't more footage of the four guys interacting and less of the supporting cast. But they wanted to do step outside the norm, and I think if I put myself back in their era and mindset (Note to authorities: I am not doing so by ingesting illicit substances of any sort), I understand it.

To me, any footage of the Beatles in their day deserves a look--maybe not repeated viewings, but at least one. Plus there's some great music. The DVD shows some effort, too, with the commentary and featurettes helping put it all into context, though the recent BBC documentary that aired on PBS apparently did a lot more of that (and, sadly, is not here).

2 comments:

policomic said...

Now I feel like I have to watch MMT, which I've avoided because I LIKE the Beatles.

Off topic, it's certainly good to have Cultureshark back on the tubes.

Rick Brooks said...

I know what you mean, but I think every Beatle fan ought to try to see it at least once. The bigger the fan you are, the less it will "scar" you because you'll be able to put it in context. And there's always the tunes...

Thanks for the warm welcome back!