Wednesday, February 27, 2013

This Week in DVD and Instant Watching

All bow down to the wonder of Wheeler and Woolsey! That's right, Warner Archives releases a set with a whopping 9 of The Boys' films, all for 35 bucks plus shipping, which isn't bad for the WA. All other releases this week pale by comparison, but let's mention a few of them:

The Master: [Brilliant post-justifying Scientology joke removed on advice of legal counsel]

2013 BCS National Championship: The DVD that finally makes Brent Musburger upgrade from VHS.

Silent Hill: Revelation: I have no idea what this is, but I feel like there's probably a bunch more.

Angels in the Outfield: I was puzzled when I saw this on a list of new releases because I thought this 1951 baseball flick had been out for years, but I am pretty sure it was an Amazon exclusive, at least at first. Turns out Warner Archive released it last week, but I'm mentioning it anyway because to me any footage of the Pittsburgh Pirates winning is a precious commodity that must be celebrated.

Dead End Kids Double Feature: Hey, cool to see this and all, but wouldn't it be nice to see a big Dead End Kids box set? Yes, it would. (Whoa, I didn't know I could answer my own questions like that. That changes everything!)

Night Court Season 8: I can't tell you off the top of my head what specifically happened in season 8, but I'll bet a lot of it involved Gilbert Gottfried.

Strangers in the Night: A 1946 Anthony Mann pic headlines a new batch of Olive Films product. You know, I love what Olive does, but this one runs under an hour and would have maybe made a nice co-headliner on a double feature DVD. Just sayin'.

In streaming...There's an interesting addition to Hulu this week: The Academy Awar--excuse me, The Oscars. Yep, the whole ceremony is online and was available the next morning. That's an interesting and welcome move. I don't want to see it again, but it's cool that the show is available.

For me, the highlight of a slow Netflix week is the arrival of Louis CK: Live at the Beacon, the concert that he distributed himself online for a $5 fee. So if you were too cheap to pay for it then (Ahem) or missed the FX premiere, here you go.

Also available is Che, Soderbergh's 4-hour epic about a guy I'm not really all that interested in knowing better. You know what, I'd rather watch 20 or so episodes of Fat Albert.

No comments: