Friday, February 22, 2013

New Column Debut! "Lou's Views" with a special guest blogger

As a rule, we keep this a one-man operation, which makes the use of the word we" in this sentence kind of bizarre, but when you (see, I switched pronouns) get a chance to land a legend, you go for it. Through mutual acquaintances, we--OK, I--wooed a seasoned pro with years of experience in TV and print journalism to be the blog's new semi-regular media columnist. He's been looking for a gig since accepting a buyout several years ago. Please welcome "Lou's Views," written by none other than  Mr. Lou Grant.

...Hello, or hi, or whatever it is a "blogger" says...I have been sniffing around for a way to stay in the game since accepting that damn buyout from the "Trib" several years ago...I held out for the right situation...It didn't come, so I took this one...Actually, I like this--what do you call it? Blog, I like this blog, and I like this Brooks kid. He's got spunk..I remember years ago I told someone who had spunk that I HATED spunk. Guess I mellowed out...You might remember the person on the other end of my zinger so many years ago...Yep, it was Freddie McKinley, one of our best copy boys...

...I plan to write about the media, whether it be TV, print, or radio, and, hell, maybe a movie now and then, but since I've still got journalism in my blood, I'll be focusing on the news. As for this "social media," I'm trying...To me, "social media" meant Donovan going up to the redhead at the bar and buying her a drink...And don't get me started on Twitter...I knew a guy they called "Twitter" in my unit in Normandy. He had a case of the shakes so bad, he got shipped back stateside faster than you can say "Ernie Pyle"...

...Personally I understand the appeal of Twitter's immediacy, but back in my day, journalism was a lot more than 100-some characters....Any newsman who tried to pass off short, disjointed tidbits as actual content would have been laughed out of the Guild...Hey, does anyone remember ethics?...How about that phone hacking business? Never would have happened if we all stuck to good old rotary dialers...What are they gonna do in doctors' offices when newspapers and magazines go away?

...It's about time for me to take in a beer and a ball game, but I want to say a word about this weekend's Academy Awards. Don't kid yourself, a lot of the rags in this town make a lot of money from the ads the studios take out this time of year...I remember arguing with Mrs. Pynchon over a big color supplement she wanted to run that was practically bought and paid for by the industry...What the hell that had to do with the City Desk, I don't know, but that was often how it happened back in my day...

--30--

No comments: