Friday, May 12, 2017

A&E to give up "scripted" programming...and I say, "It's all right"

A&E decided crushing the hopes and dreams of Bates Motel fans wasn't enough; no, it had to announce it was ending all scripted shows FOREVER...or at least for the time being. So that means a steady diet of programming such as...

Uh, actually, what do they show these days? Do they have a housewives program? A house flipping program? Wait, they have the Wahlburgers thing, right?

The fact is, I don't know, but I'm sure much of it is not my kind of deal. Truth be told, the fictional shows--A&E's attempt to prove, "Hey, we can do good television, too"--never grabbed me, either. I can only think of a series of programs I sorta wanted to check out but never so much that I actually watched. We're talking Longmire, The Glades, and maybe Bates Motel.

As far as I'm concerned, taking away potentially good programming from an entire channel is a good thing. That's one less network to add to your "favorites" list and a lot less shows for your "want to check out" list. And if I am ever in a situation where I am cord cutting, hey, now there's one less thing to look for when comparing alternatives.

So, A&E, I salute you for giving up on the idea of quality television and giving those of us who care about said concept more of a fighting chance to keep up with it all. Good luck with the storage shows!

No comments: