Thursday, September 4, 2008

NFL Watchability Power Rankings: NFC

Look here for an explanation and the list for the AFC.

1) Washington Redskins: Several factors, including my meeting many of the players and getting autographs, combined to make the Washington Offensive Team Names my NFC team in the mid 80s. Good thing, too, because living in Northern VA., it's impossible to avoid the team. I don't know if there's as big a disconnect between a fanbase's feelings for its team and the team's owner--Dan Snyder is openly mocked and jeered here--but still, the fans shell out the bucks to support the franchise.

2) Carolina Panthers: I tend to like North Carolina pro teams if for no other reason than I have family down there and that I've long been a fan of the Tar Heels. Kind of shallow? Well, at least I didn't say I like the uniforms. But now that I mention it, the Panthers DO look pretty cool...

3) Green Bay: No, I'm not a cheesehead, but this season I will be rooting for the Packers just about each week simply because I want them to have a great year without That Guy Who Is Now In New York.

4) Chicago Bears: Boy, I loved that 1985 team. It's been a long time since 1985. A real long time. I still kind of like to see them do well, though.

5) St. Louis Rams: I think this team still has some residual appeal from when it was actually exciting. Nowadays, it's just one of the least objectionable teams in football, and that's what puts it so high on my list.

6) New Orleans Saints: I'm giving them a pass here because I'm sure dealing with all the hurricane problems is such a pain, but really these weather issues have made one of the most underexposed teams in football one of the more overexposed teams.

7) Minnesota Vikings: Is it too late to make Sex Boat jokes, like saying the team's games were shown on Cinemax instead of FOX last year? The ship has sailed? OK, I'll stop. But what else are you used to say about the Vikings, that they have a lot of talent but that so much is riding on the inexperienced QB Tarvaris Jackson? Well, OK, but everybody is saying that!

8) Arizona Cardinals: One of the NFL's lovable losers for a long time, but the presence of so many ex-Steelers on the field and on the sidelines has made this at least a mildly intriguing team in recent years.

9) San Francisco 49ers: As I said when I mentioned the Bears, the Eighties are long gone. Meet the 2008 49ers. It seems that whenever the NFL needs a West Coast game, like when it's putting together a nighttime doubleheader, it imposes an Arizona-SF game on us in a "Just be happy you're watching football" match-up. At least this season, the opening "Monday Night Football" doubleheader mixes it up with Oakland and Denver.

10) Detroit Lions: I admire the tradition, but this team has sullied too many Thanksgiving afternoons with its subpar football to deserve much respect.

11) Tampa Bay: I still blame this franchise for giving the world Warren Sapp, and I'm not in the mood to forgive it anytime soon.

12) New York Giants: I really hated the Super Bowl teams of the Eighties, but those days are long gone (Hey, anyone detect a theme here?).

13) Atlanta Falcons: The whole Michael Vick situation made this team plummet on my personal list; the players' reactions have made it stay there.

14) Dallas Cowboys: I'd like to think the rest of the nation is as sick of this team as I am, but America continues to disappoint me by giving Cowboys games high TV ratings.

15) Philadelphia Eagles: Since I live in Redskins Country, the NFL/Fox thinks that I care about what the Eagles do. Well, sure, but I don't want to see them on TV. Unfortunately, this wretched team, with its proudly boorish fans, come on seemingly every other week, what with the games against the Skins, plus the fact that the national game on Fox is usually the NFC East Showcase. Now I see "Sports Illustrated" picks them to win it all this year. Is Philadelphia a team with a national following? I just don't get it. All they accomplished in the last decade is botching a bunch of playoff games and then choking away their best shot at a Super Bowl.

No comments: