Saturday, September 6, 2008

This week in DVD

Fox Film Noir: The stalled series is back with 3 selections, including the now-legendary "Boomerang," which has been teased, pulled, kind-of-released, and announced so many times that eager fans must feel like they're playing with a, well, you know. Hmm, actually a boomerang metaphor doesn't really do it there. But the point is that there is a massive aura about the movie because of its shadowy status, and even this week people aren't sure if the rumored legal issues that (mostly) kept it off shelves are resolved. Personally, I think it's an average noir that is getting disproportionate hype because of the circumstances, but that's just my take.

I'm much more interested in "Moontide," which may not be 100% noir but which does offer a cast including Ida Lupino and Claude Rains, and "Road House," another Lupino effort and one I've wanted to see for years. Ever since I got Fox Movie Channel, I've been hoping they'd show it, and sure enough, they're finally airing it again this month...now that it's on DVD. Oh, well. Here's hoping Fox continues its Film Noir line. Speaking of long-delayed DVDs, the one I really want to see is the 1947 Chandler adaptation "The Brasher Doubloon," in limbo for years without a definitive explanation why.

Honey West:
VCI releases the complete series. I mostly missed the reruns on TV Land, but I recently saw the "Burke's Law" episode that introduced the character, and, man, while I enjoy "Law," Anne Francis really livened up that show. This is a cool release.


It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: Warners has taken over distribution of the old Peanuts TV specials, which is why you're seeing all these redos with shiny new packaging, the odd new extra or two...and of course a brand-spanking-new MSRP to get you to shell out for the same thing at a possibly higher price this time around.


Bait Shop: This Bill Engvall vehicle was already on USA, and please don't ask me why I know that, because--wait, "Bill Engvall vehicle" was enough, wasn't it?

Cheers Season 10: Not much to say except this one was stalled for a while, and really it's a modern classic (take note, TV Land--"Scrubs," say, is not a modern classic) that deserves to have its full run out there.

Next Avengers: The Avengers...as KIDZ! I think this is one Marvel Comic movie I won't even be renting.

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

From what I have heard, Brasher is trapped in the same legal limbo as Boomerang!.

I hope you enjoy Road House, by the way...one of my all-time favorite noirs.