Saturday, September 27, 2008

This Week in DVD

Leatherheads: George Clooney brought us old-timey football and old-timey romantic comedy, and we shunned him.

Martini Movies: No, not a series of lost spinoffs featuring Danny DeVito's character from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," but a marketing hook for Sony as it liberates an assortment of flicks from the archives. I think the connection and the angle is tenuous, but, hey, whatever gets the movies out...I do suspect that the "Martini" aspect is based on the fact that you have to knock down a few before you can enjoy the ugly covers for these.

The Godfather Trilogy: Now on Blu-Ray! Not that I have Blu-Ray, but if you do, you might want to buy these again. Must...avoid..."offer you can't refuse" line...


Run, Fat Boy, Run: Here's the good news: Simon Pegg has a new movie. The bad news: Well, it was directed by David Schwimmer.

You know what, that's unfair. I don't have any reason to think this movie stinks simply because Ross helmed it. I even liked Schwimmer on "Friends"--well, at least I think I did until the last few seasons. I guess I'm just full of anger this week because of the release of a certain TV-to-Feature adaptation, one I won't talk about because it's in the bottom 5 (see the right side of the page).

But, hey, at least there's no "Friends" movie in the works.

Wait, is there?

LA Confidential SE: Every now and then, the DVD Gods reward me for not getting around to picking up a great movie on video. In this case, it's time to upgrade my VHS because this one gets the SE upgrade with new extras. I have no excuse now, unless I want to hold out for the inevitable Ultimate Edition on Photon-Vision or whatever format we're looking at in 2015. It'll look great next to my Godfather Trilogy: Ultimate Ultimate Edition set, I'm sure.

No comments: