Friday, September 12, 2008

This Week in DVD

The Big Lebowski Anniversary Edition: You know how there are certain movies that people will tell you "get better each time you watch them"? Is there such a thing as movies that "get better each time you buy them on DVD"?

Baby Mama: I think this movie teaches us all a lesson. No, it's not, "Don't pay 10 bucks to see SNL castmembers on the big screen," as we should know that by now. The lesson to take is that just because a movie promotes itself with commercials that build up to a lame fart joke doesn't mean the movie isn't really a chick flick at heart.

The Heckler: You mean to tell me Jamie Kennedy made a movie whining about how he gets bad reviews? Forgive me if I'm oversimplifying the premise somewhat, but it seems like that's the gist of why this project was made. I don't blame him for getting his say out there. I might blame you for paying attention, though.

Brian Regan: The Epitome of Hyperbole: Hey, I just saw this on Comedy Central. I don't know that there's all that much more content on the disc, but what I saw on the tube was pretty darned funny.

Fox Horror Classics Volume 2: As with their noir line, movie fans forgive the misleading marketing tag when it means more oldies make it to video. I saw"Chandu the Magician" with Edmund Lowe and Bela Lugosi earlier this year and had a blast. It's like an old comic book movie, with death rays, superpowers, and derring-do. "Dragonwyck" and 'Dr. Renault's Secret" could stink up my Panasonic for all I know, and this affordable 3-disc set with extras would be worth the price. Another nice deal from Fox. I wish they'd bundle their Noir Classics in sets like this.

Forbidden Kingdom: As a fan of Jackie Chan and Jet Li, I have to say that pairing them sounds like a great idea. As a very casual fan of Jackie Chan and Jet Li, I have to say that they could have made a dozen movies together already and I wouldn't know it.

Cool Hand Luke Deluxe Edition: Forgive me, but does it come with a carton of eggs? You know, if this were Paramount, this would have been the "Egg-stra Special Egg-cellent Edition!"

The Life and Times of Mr. Perfect: Having grown up on 1980s AWA and WWF, I have to point out this one, which combines the formula of well-produced, if slanted, documentary and heaping of matches. If this one has all the vignettes that introduced Curt Hennig's "Mr. Perfect" character when he debuted in the WWF, it will make a lot of fans happy.

No comments: