Sunday, January 11, 2009

Football Follies

The Philadelphia Eagles are set to desecrate yet another NFC Championship game next weekend. This means they are 4 quarters away from sullying the Super Bowl. Hasn't the sports world suffered enough in the wake of the Phillies' World Series victory?* The NFL uses its game-fixing powers to screw with gamblers and alter Patriots games, but not once has it stepped up and nipped an Eagles threat in the bud. I am very disappointed with the NFL.

Thank goodness the Steelers won today and played well. I dread playing the Ravens because it is difficult to beat any team 3 times in the same season, and Pittsburgh was fortunate enough to win both teams these two bitter rivals fought it out already.

It's difficult for me to even concede this possibility, but if it's Baltimore and Philadelphia in the Super Bowl, then for the first time in umpteen years, I will not watch the Super Bowl. I'm not even kidding. Oh, I'll go to my mother-in-law's annual party, but I'll camp out by the buffet and sneak back into the den to watch the commercials.

*I, of course, refuse to recognize this so-called "championship," but I will concede that most observers consider them reigning champions.

No comments: