Thursday, January 15, 2009

This Week in DVD

Last week I yearned for a more exciting week full o' DVD. Will I get it?

Doesn't look like it, but there is one clear winner of DVD of the Week. Dear readers, I present to you an early candidate for DVD of the Year:

Balls Out: Gary the Tennis Coach.

No, I haven't seen this yet, but the title alone should be sufficient proof of its greatness. But if ye need more, shall I mention the cast includes Randy Quaid, Seann William Scott. And on the cover, it looks like Scott has two giant tennis balls for testicles. Huh huh huh.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Why should I buy this now when I'll only be tempted to get the inevitable Criterion Collection edition in a few years?" That's a legitimate question, and I can only respond that a film so great DEMANDS not just multiple viewings, but multiple purchases.

I should probably link to an online retailer and set up some kind of some revenue sharing deal where I can reap the benefits from spotlighting this title, but, dear friends, just knowing I am exposing you to this gem is reward enough.

Anticlimactic though it is, let's look at some other DVDs out this week:

Appaloosa: I must admit that when I hear the words "thoughtful" and "meditative" in conjunction with a modern oater, part of me fears they are euphemisms for "boring." In this case, I'll bet Ed Harris' underseen Western got a bit of a raw deal on its theatrical release, and I'd like to check it out eventually.

Shut Up and Shoot: Speaking of great casts, this week there was a great banner ad somewhere, I believe DVD Talk, touting the roster of stars in this movie: Roddy Piper, Joe Estevez, niel Baldwin, Gary Busey, and others (not necessarily in that order). I have no idea what this movie is about, but does it really matter?

Breakfast at Tiffany's Paramount Centennial Collection: I'm not sure if that means it's celebrating 100 years of Paramount or if it's the 100th time this movie has been packaged on DVD. Maybe both.

Swing Vote: I'm kind of embarrassed to say I wouldn't mind seeing this Kevin Costner dud. Not as much as if I were to say I wouldn't mind certain other Kevin Costner duds, mind you, but I do feel a twinge of shame.

No comments: