Monday, January 12, 2009

It's no mystery: Sleuth Channel stinks

Albert Einstein is often credited with saying that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. He surely would call me out for checking out the Sleuth Channel TV listings every month even though I'm always disappointed by how unimaginative this NBC-Universal network is.

Well, crazy ol' me looked at the Sleuth schedule again the other day. However, I actually feel a little less crazy this time because Sleuth's programming isn't the same old boring mix of overplayed 80s and 90s cop shows. No, it's actually WORSE. Apparently, Universal or NBC or whoever is running the show has just given up on this network--much like it has thrown in the towel with its other properties--and turned it into USA Network 2.

Look a few of the shows in heavy rotation on the New-Look Sleuth this month:

*Monk
*NCIS
*Jag
*The Dead Zone

I swear I saw "Walker Texas Ranger" on there a week ago, too. Other than "Da Vinci's Inquest" and "Cold Squad," there's nothing on there you wouldn't have seen on USA...last week!

Oh, how naive I was to think this channel was an opportunity for airing seldom-seen cop and detective shows. Now even the 80s are too old for Sleuth.

(Incidentally, do you think Al Einstein was a Dumont Network kind of guy? I bet he was.)

No comments: