Wednesday, September 9, 2009

This Week in DVD

Crank 2: High Voltage: I enjoyed the original when I saw it on Showtime last year. I enjoyed it as a ridiculous, over-the-top action flick with no pretensions to anything else; a movie with a fine ending and a premise that seemingly rendered any sequel a non-starter.

So guess which movie has a sequel.

Dance Flick: I recently had a sinus infection/strep throat (the doc wasn't sure which) that lingered for several weeks. I tell you this not to garner sympathy, but to perhaps explain why I saw an ad for this the other day and thought it looked funny: It's possible I suffered permanent brain damage.

The Alvin Show: The first episode: Uh, great that Paramount is releasing this, but they've taken the split season thing to a ridiculous new extreme. A couple dozen more sets, and we'll get the full season! Seriously, throwing in a bunch of filler like episodes of the eighties incarnation only makes the presence of one episode more annoying.

Beany and Cecil Volume 2: Hey, another set of the classic Bob Clampett car-toooooooon! Nobody tell my dad about this; this might make a great birthday present for him.

Homicide: This Criterion release is a great idea because of course you can never have too much Joe Mantegna on DVD. HA! You thought I was gonna say David Mamet, didn't you? Talk about a shocking twist!

Mr. Belvedere Season 3: Little has changed since the S1/S2 release. I still think Bob Uecker is probably funny in this, I'm still afraid to watch the show to find out.

No comments: