Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sharp Dressed Man

The other day, I went out to shoot some hoops on the neighborhood blacktop. I went through what I considered a rational thought process as I got dressed:

*It's incredibly hot outside, so short sleeves and shorts are musts.

*I'll grab a white or light-colored t-shirt since the sun is so bright and warm.

*I need a comfortable pair of shorts with pockets since I'll be bringing my house keys.

*Again, the heat is such a factor, I have to be prepared. I'll get the slightly-beat up hat I pick when I expect to work up a sweat.

Sounds reasonable, no? I thought so. However, I wound up with this outfit:

A Penn State baseball cap.
A Carolina Panthers t-shirt.
A pair of Pittsburgh Pirates shorts.

I must have looked like a maniac at worst, an idiot at best, wearing articles of clothing of 3 different sports teams. As functional as my costume seemed during assembly, it surely looked like a sign of incompetence to anyone who spotted me on the court. Even if someone does indeed like 3 different sports teams, and even if they are in 3 different games and/or levels of play, who in the world declares their allegiance to all of them at the same time?

Me, I guess.

I don't know if anyone or did not. It's usually nice and quiet on the blacktop, so I can brick jumpers in peace and chase my misses down the slope to the chain-link fence without noticing any derisive laughter.

Yet when I go back there, I will now be wondering if the little tot playground next to the court is empty because the kids are elsewhere...or if the parents decided they didn't want their children hanging near the strange man who dresses funny.

No comments: