Monday, December 7, 2009

On the radio: The Power of Music

On Friday, I was headed into work in not so great a mood--a bit of a funk, if you will. But when I flipped radio stations and caught Journey's "Stone in Love," BAM! Instant mood elevator. How can anyone feel down after hearing that all-time classic? That song always takes me back to the early eighties, playing whiffleball in the circle in our little cul-de-sac while the neighbor's teenage niece cranked the "Escape" LP at high volume with the windows down.

Those are good memories--not that "Stone in Love" needs that kind of association to make an impact.

So I was in a bad mood, I heard the song, and I was no longer in a bad mood. That is the power of music--indeed, the power of radio.

When Journey ended and a song by Motley Crue or someone like that came on, I changed the station and decided to seek out some Christmas music.

It's at this point, I heard Elton John's "Step into Christmas," a song I loathe.

I got so worked up at receiving my first annual exposure to this tune that I was right back into a bad mood by the time I got into work.

That's the power of music, too, I guess.

No comments: