Thursday, April 1, 2010

This Week in DVD

Sherlock Holmes: Hey, finally, someone made a film with Sherlock Holmes in it! Now, if only someone would do a Robin Hood movie or a Dracula movie...

An Education: Sorry, Academy Award nominee Carey Mulligan, but the real draw for me is that it's written by Nick Hornby, and when Hornby talks, I listen. And when he writes, I read it. Unless it's a screenplay. Then I watch it. Unless it's not in many theaters, then I wait for the DVD and I--oh, hell, Nick Hornby could say this so much better.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel:
It would be much easier to tolerate these movies, and even these titles, if they gave Paramount a reason to release more of the old cartoons on DVD.

Alice in Wonderland: You know, I really do admire the sense of humor Disney displays in titling this "Special Un-Anniversary Edition," but I'd admire even more if it were called the "Cashing in on the Live Action Version Edition."

Rhoda Season Two: Shout Factory issues a set with uncut episodes this time after a botch job on season 1 made fans irate. But they're "only working with what Fox gives them," right? How fortunate that Fox just happened to give them uncut prints this time!

No comments: