Wednesday, May 5, 2010

This Week and Last Week in DVD

It's Complicated: Actually, it's pretty simple. If Nancy Myers directs a movie, stay away from it unless you think the actors involved "are a hoot."

Nine: Hey, new to DVD this week is that big musical extravaganza that won all the Oscars a few months ago.

Wait, it didn't? Oh, whoops. Never mind.

Tooth Fairy: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson takes too many more roles like this, and he's gonna have to start beating guys over the head with chairs again. This week is a good example of why those infernal release windows the studios are giving Netflix and Redbox don't always matter much. Another case in point...

Leap Year: We love Amy Adams, but we have to have limits. I could swear I actually saw a print ad carry the pull quote, "Amy Adams is wasted in this dreck!"

Five Minutes in Heaven: Sounds like me in college. I don't even know what that means! This movie is kind of under the radar, to be sure, but Heaven or no, it's got ~NESBITT~, James Nesbitt, and that should be enough for you, pally.

No Time for Sergeants: This Andy Griffith classic is on my list of "Great movies I should have seen all the way through by now" list. Alphabetically, it comes right after "No Holds Barred."

Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1980s Volume 1: This collection seems to merit a rental, but I refuse to get nostalgic for "Monchhichis." Not gonna do it. Same with "Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos." And that Ed Grimley cartoon. Resistance...weakening...Not gonna get nostalgic for Mr. T...And not for Thundarr--AAAAH! OK, I give up, let me see this.

Honeymooners specials: Two color "Honeymooners" specials from the 1970s. Audrey Meadows is in; Joyce Randolph is not (Jane Kean from the 1960s color episodes is in). Don't get me wrong, I think all 'Mooners stuff should be on DVD, and I want to see these, but I'm really getting impatient for MPI to do a worthwhile definitive repackaging of the Lost Episodes.

Marcus Welby M.D.: Doctor knows best, you know. Shout Factory continues to crank 'em out, adding this amiable medical drama to its roster.

The Facts of Life Season 4: Doing more than just listing this as a new release might tip you off to the fact that I watched wayyyyyy too many reruns of the show in the eighties. So I won't do more than just list it.

Wrestlemania XVI: Notable for featuring Shawn Michaels' last match...until he wrestles again. Retirement in professional wrestling is about as legit as, um, the rest of professional wrestling.

No comments: