Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This Week in DVD

Shutter Island: Doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo-doo-doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo-doo-doo! What, I can't be the only one who gets Jay Ferguson in his head when seeing this title, can I? Hey, "Thunder Island" would be more welcome in a Scorcese film than "Gimme Shelter" for the umpteenth time.

From Paris With Love: It's still too soon for me to make fun of John Travolta. However, if I rent this movie, I will sit back and enjoy it as an over-the-top goofy bad movie, and some of the laughter will indeed be at and not with Mr. Travolta. There's a distinction, see.

41-Year-Old Virgin Who Knocked Up Sarah Marshall and Felt Superbad About It: OK, I can understand parodying movie genres like the superhero flick, the dance flick, etc., but parodying Judd Apatow comedies? I'm betting this is one of those movies where the title is the funniest thing about it--you know, like "Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo" or "Soul Plane" or "Dead Man Walking." Boy, you go into a theater expecting a lighthearted zombie movie...

Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 7: I personally thought the ballyhooed "Seinfeld" reunion was nowhere near "the reunion fans deserved," but was more a clever way for the principals to ward off future talk of a real one. "Hey, we already did it on 'Curb!'" Still, it was a solid season.

Reds Memories: The Greatest Memories in Cincinnati Reds History: I'm guessing that not a lot of them involve Marge Schott. I'm hoping they don't include one of the worst memories in my Pirates' history: bouncing the Buccos from the 1990 National League playoffs.

TCM Spotlight: Charlie Chan: Hey, all you conspiracy theorists, relax. Turner Classic Movies did NOT pull these Monogram Chans from its programming schedule in order to make fans buy the DVDs.

Or DID they? MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Bob Hope Thanks for the Memories Collection: You wont be especially thankful for the memories of buying most of these movies before when they came out as part of previous DVD sets.

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Hey, all you conspiracy theorists, relax. Turner Classic Movies did NOT pull these Monogram Chans from its programming schedule in order to make fans buy the DVDs.

Or DID they? MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!


"You know too much, my dental friend...prepare to meet your maker," Bobby Osbo told Rick as he put on a pair of surgical gloves and started...the drill...

Rick Brooks said...

It was an ordeal, to be sure...but how can I stay mad at Bobby Osbo? After all, even when performing heinous torture, he's just so darned classy.