Friday, August 6, 2010

This Week in DVD

Kick-Ass: I may gamble a buck on a Redbox rental for this, but part of me thinks if I want to see kids swearing and beating people up, I'll just go visit the local middle school. And then another part of me thinks, nah, I don't really want to see that at all.

The Ghost Writer: You know, no matter how bad things get on screen in "Kick-Ass," it's still probably not as bad as what Roman Polanski has done in real life. But looking at the list of new titles, I feel confident in saying "The Ghost Writer" is the best movie directed by a rapist to be released this week.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The popular series of novels for youngsters becomes a movie, and...well, it's still a popular series of novels.

Max Headroom The Complete Series: I am more familiar with Max Headroom: The Icon or Max Headroom: The Pepsi ads. I really don't remember if the show was any good, and I'm not sure why I never got into it. Yep, I'm full of info this week.

Hawaii Five-0 Season 9: 9 seasons of any old-school hit on DVD is a real accomplishment in 2010. By the way, I have heard that Scott Caan blows star Alex O'Loughlin off the screen in the remake. What does that say about your starpower when Scott Caan blows you off the screen?

TCM Spotlight: Errol Flynn Adventures: A set of Flynn's war movies bundled with extras like newsreels? And even the one double-dip movie (previously available "Objective Burma") has a new commentary track? Welcome back, Warner Brothers Catalog DVD Department! We missed you! Unfortunately, I think "TCM Spotlight" is a classier way of saying, "You ain't gonna see THIS one marked down to 15 bucks at Costco this Christmas, bucko!"

No comments: